Friday 2 January 2009

My first blog entry...

Woah woah, what could this be? Time for my first official blog? I think so!
I think I will start with talking about last night. Which was of course, new years eve.

It started off on the tube. The tube was buzzing, a lot of people had prepared a little better than myself and were clearly already hammered – I’d only had some amaretto sours. The best bit, aside from the drunken ramblings was the reactions I got to my upcoming night out.

Random stranger: “Hey dude where you going tonight?”
Me: “Uhhh, I’m starting off at Angel bar, then going to a Chinese club night and then off to China town.”
... Awkward silence...
Random Stranger: “Oh, right, cool I guess”.

So off to Angel bar I went, in Angel – which is in Islington, North London, for any non UK readers – and it was typically busy. I arrived characteristically early, I don’t know if it is a personality fault, or if I am just blessed (uh!) but I always seem to arrive before everybody else, even when I think I’m late. It is usually pretty frustrating, but in this instance it meant I could start the drinking early, and warmed up with some Pimms (I was feeling posh) and a San Miguel. It was a strange place to be drinking, as I will be working nearby shortly, and it might become my temporary local pub. So I was sort of scoping it out, no Asahi beer unfortunately but I think I’ll survive.

Anyway, about half an hour after I arrived my friends pitched up, and the fun kicked off. Drinks were going down peoples necks all around me, and it started to feel like new years finally. I broke the seal depressingly early, so was in and out the gentleman’s every five minutes, which is always fun. There is something about new years and these fun events when everyone puts their guard down for a second and has a laugh. I wouldn’t usually have banter with a stranger while at the urinal, but on new years, anything is possible!

The club, wow. Almost the first thing to happen once we’d walked in was moving out the way of one guy chasing after another, drunkenly laying punches into the back of his head. He of course missed, and I got a punch in the shoulder for my troubles. I genuinely don’t understand dickheads like that, it is new years, and you’re in a nightclub – WHY ARE YOU FIGHTING?

Aside from that was great, until half one. The club was advertised to finish at five, but all of a sudden the police came in, the music was turned off, and we were told to leave. There were problems with the amount of people in the club, and it had to called off immediately. As you can imagine, everyone went nuts. And I don’t mean, “oh what a shame”, I’m talking “what the f*ck!!!!”. What followed was an almighty rush for the cloakroom, at which point I became a sardine. It was horrible, everyone was pushing from all sides trying to get past, there was just anger on everyone’s faces, but what’s more, it wasn’t helping. The cloakroom people were so slow because the cloakroom was a KITCHEN, and they had put everything away with no system, so it was almost pot luck if they came across your stuff. So myself and Mark were in there for what seemed like an eternity waiting to get our stuff back, and being pushed into people from all sides. Imagine 400+ people trying to get into a room two metres square, not fun.

Outside we sang songs (Hey There Delilah) to cheer ourselves up. From that point on the night got better, we went to China Town, had some wicked food and bubble tea and laughed about what happened. What was cool about the evening was that, although fate clearly didn’t want us to have a fantastic evening, the fact that the company was so entertaining, and created such a cool vibe, it ended up being a quality night. Mid-way through our meal, my friend got a call on her phone to say one of her friends had been beaten up, taken to the police station, and put on probation. Now that, is a crap way to spend new year, and it made me appreciate my new year.

Anyway, I eventually got back at half five. And guess what? I forgot my keys! But luckily my brother was still awake (he has his uses sometimes) and was able to let me in. I had a cup of peppermint tea, my new addiction, and slunk off to bed. All in all, it was a great night. Definitely memorable.

Last my new year was awful, the clock struck twelve while I was waiting outside Burger King, so this year was definitely an improvement. I should be in Vietnam for the next new year, that will be amazing (I hope).

Anyway, that is my first blog. Hope my next one is a little more interesting.

Mkb.

No comments:

Post a Comment