Sunday 18 January 2009

Life update

So, I haven’t blogged in a while – my apologies. Although judging by the amount of people that read this, I am sure no one has dropped dead as a result.
Anywizzle, a life update is surely in order. I am working very hard at Itchy, I have a barrel load of articles online, and everyone seems really friendly and nice to hang out with. Except this is the problem, I still don’t quite see it as a job yet, I get frustrated because the only person I really talk to is the other intern. It’s not like Uni or indeed my general approach to life where I see it fit to talk to just about anyone and everyone. It is funny reading my last blog, my fears evaporated after the first day or two.
The highlights of Itchy have definitely been: the positive responses to my feature ideas, and the gin mixing competition. I didn’t compete (despite my mix-masta-mike nickname) but I watched and interviewed the winner. It was really good fun, and obviously fantastic experience. Oh and the other highlight is definitely the food, there is a market not far from the office that sells all sorts of things. I’ve had Dim Sum, Curried Goat, Jerk Chicken, Vege Chinese... very very tasty!
The negatives are the travelling. God I hate the London Underground sometimes, having someone’s body part in my face, while being squished into the other side is just not pleasant. I genuinely cannot stand it, plus I have to wake up early which I hateee so uh, that part of work is not cool. Oh and also, I write so much (say about 3000 words a day) that my fingers hurt at the end of the day. Which is why I haven’t blogged at all, or finished any of the stories that I wanted to.
I guess the other negative as well is that while I love Journalism, I don’t know how I am going to make a career from it. What I really want to do is travel the world a bit, and teach English in Japan and China and all those amazing countries, so how Journalism is going to fit into all of this... I don’t know. I might have to be a struggling feature writing freelancer :P
Away from food briefly. Today was very frustrating, it was the fourth anniversary of my friends mum committing suicide. It is obviously very sad at these events, she was a lovely woman, but when we’re asked for a moment of silence to reflect I just get angry at her for being selfish like that. And then I have another part of me that defends her, and thinks that she obviously loved her kids, whatever it was that made her commit suicide must have been so major that is superseded even that. I don’t know anything that could possibly supersede that, but I think it’s unfair to judge her when I am not in her shoes. So, I didn’t cry, and I didn’t cry at her funeral either but I have this real angriness towards the situation that I need to discuss with someone in the family someday.
And then we also saw some family today. Family is so damn important! The connections you can see, the similarities, the laid back vibes, I need to get more into it.
Oh, and I am now on chess.com if you want to give me a game (you’ll probably win) my name is mikieboi.
Living in London for a few more weeks has really brought home to me that I can’t wait to graduate.
P and L.

No comments:

Post a Comment