Tuesday 17 March 2009

Illnesses and how to combat them

So once more, this is another bus blog. I think I could actually save a lot of time if I went onto blogspot on my phone while on the bus, but alas I am just not that smart (and my phone battery sucks). This morning I decided to talk about illness, and how it affects people. I was also a bit late, so I had to run for the bus.

This little thing to the left, is ginger. It's amazing stuff, if you haven't eaten it raw then I suggest you do. It's super spicy.

*Gasp*... Ok just ran my ass off to catch the bus that I'm sitting on right now. I was like Usain Bolt, just white and not that fast.

Anyway, the topic of my blog today is illness. Something, I don't know what or where from, has got into my system and made me ill. I have all the symptoms: headache, runny nose, general 'shit' feeling.. It's all there. But I'm still going into Uni, determined to ignore it, and enjoy it. This is what I always do by the yay, unless I break my leg and can't walk, I ignore illnesses. And it seems to work, I hardly ever get ill. But is it the best approach? Would a few days in bed, with a hot water bottle, do me better in the long run? I guess I'll never know.

Also happening in my life.. I'm running out of recipes involving manuka honey and ginger, aka the cold killers. I had beef with ginger and onions last night, it was amazing. (No longer on the bus) tonight I chopped a butternut squash in half, stuffed it with ginger, rubbed olive oil all over it, and then baked it for about an hour and a half at a low heat. What came out was this mushy, orange, sweet and gingery.. stuff. It was really tasty, and it felt healthy. AND, I have another butternut squash half to cook with tomorrow. I think I might add a bit of Soy sauce, a dash of mirin, and serve it with rice. I can envisage that being pretty f-ing good.

I had a bit of a strange experience on the bus today too. This little ginger kid (it's a theme) sat across from me on the bus. Little is a fair description, he looked about 15 but was barely 5 foot. He was also blessed with an array of freckles all over his face, and had a kind of nervous expression. Which was ironic because, I'm sure he had nothing to be nervous about. But I guess it's a symptom of being that age, I remember being hella insecure when I was 15, I am sure he was no different. Anyway, these two girls from the back of the bus decided to come to the front to talk to him, and no doubt antagonise him. I had my headphones on so I don't know what they were saying to him, but I could see he looked uncomfortable. Then one of them stroked my hair. I looked around and gave her a real London "what the f*ck are you doing?!" screwface, like only a real Londoner can. Then I realised they were about 16, and switched my expression to a smile. Then they started asking me questions, I could see how relieved my little ginger friend was that they had stopped interrogating him. Being 20, and pretty confident, I was comfortable talking to these girls and took the heat of him for a bit, until my stop came.

Now that might not seem like an interesting story, but it was an eye opener for me that I am so comfortable talking to complete strangers, yet my little 15 yr old friend, and my 15 yr old self, would be bricking it in a situation. That's what I love about being the age I am now. I have the self confidence to deal with most things, but the youth to still be excited by life.

Anyway, I watched Afro Samurai last night. It was great, I wrote a review today for audioscribbler so that should be online on Wednesday. I also watched Lion King 3 today, and I wasn't impressed. It's kind of a lame cash in. BUT, it was inventive, and I did enjoy it. It just didn't hit the heights that the original Lion King did - what a classic that was.

P&L!

No comments:

Post a Comment